← Back to News

Minutes of Strategic Management Board meeting on 17th December 2013

Friday, January 24, 2014



  Strategic Management Board Meeting

Tuesday, 17th December 2013, 2pm

Dundonald House

 

Attendees

Hugh Hamill                              Chair PBNI
ACC Mark Hamilton                  PSNI
Marcella Leonard                      PPANI Coordinator
Gail McGreevy                            PBNI
Colin Reid                                  NSPCC
Alan Smyth                                 NIPS
Michael Conway                        NIHE
Liz Young                                    PSNI
Terry Doherty                              PBNI
Cecil Worthington                      Health and Social Care Trusts
Geraldine O’Hare                      PBNI
Sharon Beattie                           SBNI
Dan McEvoy                                Lay Advisor
Angeline Davidson                    PPANI (minutes)

Apologies

Tony Rodgers                             HSCT
Joe Blake                                     Lay Advisor

1 .Welcome and apologies

The Chair welcomed all to the meeting and apologies were accepted on behalf of those who could not attend.  A special welcome was extended to Duncan Sheppard, NOMS, MAPPA who attended the meeting on an observer basis.

ACC Hamilton passed on his congratulations to the newly appointed Chair, Hugh Hamill.

The Chair, on behalf of SMB, acknowledged and thanked the previous Chair, Cheryl Lamont, for her contribution to SMB.

2. Minutes of meeting of 3rdSeptember 2013 and actions arising

The minutes of previous meeting were accepted as a true reflection of what was discussed.

• Actions arising

Action 1:  PPANI Coordinator to make the necessary checks to ensure the information is available to all who access the website: Completed

Action 2:  Robert Mahaffy to report to the next SMB on the progress of the analysis in respect of placement turnover in approved premises.
Outstanding – Robert was not available to attend the meeting however Michael Conway ensured that this would be completed for the following SMB meeting

Action 3:  Gail McGreevy to send link to all members to view the PPANI DVD
Completed

Action 4:  PPANI Coordinator to update SMB Risk Matrix with risk posed to sex offenders managed within PPANI from media coverage
Completed

Action 5:  ACC Hamilton to report to members the outcome of the  meeting regarding cross border cases
Outstanding – The meeting is to take place on 10 January 2014 - ACC Hamilton to report to the next SMB.

Action 6:  PPANI Coordinator to arrange a meeting with core agencies ASAP to consider the process of implementing the Review of Indefinite Notification arranged
Completed

3.  Report from Policy and Practice Sub Group – Terry Doherty, PBNI

Action 1 (17.12.13) Policy and Practice Sub- group to discuss this further and specifically with regard to offender consent, and DPA considerations.

Action 2 (17.12.13) Policy & Practice Committee to follow up on how recommendations from audits are implemented by the respective agencies.

4.  Report from Education & Training Sub Group – Geraldine O’Hare, PBNI

Action 3 (17.12.13) ACC Hamilton to link with PSNI statistician and then discuss the outcome with SMB Chair prior to the meeting with DOJ representatives regarding a proposal for research on the efficacy of the arrangements

5.  Report from Accommodation Sub group – Michael Conway, NIHE

Action 4 (17.12.13) Accommodation Subgroup to report back to SMB on the actions arising from the CJINI Report recommendations.

6.  Report from Victims Advisory Sub group – Colin Reid, NSPCC

7.  Report from Communications Sub group – Gail McGreevy, PBNI

Action 5 (17.12.13) PPANI Coordinator to forward a redacted version of minutes for consideration for publication on PPANI Website, Gail McGreevy to also provide oversight of the SMB minutes for publication.

8.  Report from PPANI Coordinator – Marcella Leonard

9.  Lay Advisers – Dan McEvoy

Action 6 (17.12.13) Policy and Practice sub group to review the pros and cons of VISOR for other agencies in their 14/15 Business Plan.

• Joe Blake

Action 7 (17.12.13) PPANI Coordinator to contact Joe to ask him to elaborate on one of the areas within his report in respect of consistency in recording and information collation.

Action 8 (17.12.13) PPANI Coordinator and Gail McGreevy to meet with both Lay Advisers to discuss and establish a format that can be up loaded onto the website.

10.  Chairs Business

• Serious Case Review
Action 9 (17.12.13) PPANI Coordinator to contact SCR author to discuss point 41 and ask if he would amend the recommendation in order to comply with SA07.

11.  SMB Business Plan 2013-2014

All objectives are currently being achieved. 

12.  SMB Risk Matrix Plan for 2013-2014

Action 10 (17.12.13) PPANI Coordinator to add the impact of lack of reconviction data to the Risk Matrix

13.  Any other business

• Protocol for Schools regarding PPANI Offenders

Action 11 (17.12.13) PPANI Coordinator to contact Mary Potter (Department of Education) to obtain these protocols and to report back to SMB with comments.   Mary Potter to be asked to attend SMB in March.

• Indefinite Notification Arrangements

• Publication of SMB minutes on PPANI website

Action 12 (17.12.13) PPANI Coordinator to reply to both communications highlighting the agencies within PPANI will respond individually to these requests

14.  Date and time of next meeting

• Tuesday 25th March 2014, 13.30pm at NIHE HQ, 2 Adelaide Street, Belfast
• Tuesday 24th June 2014, 13.30pm at PSNI HQ,  65 Knock Road, Belfast
• Tuesday 16th September 2014, 13.30pm at PBNI, 80/90 North Street, Belfast, BT1 1LD
• Tuesday 9th December 2014, 13.30pm at SBNI, 18 Ormeau Avenue, Belfast, BT2 8HS

Hugh Hamill
Chair